9/10/08

A few new items of fun this week

Sunday night, Jeremy, the boys and I all tried a brand new item for dinner. Straight from the Rigby kitchen. It was wild and crazy. We bought 4 little baby octopus from our Fred Meyer store and decided to figure out how to cook them up. The internet is the most awesome invention ever! We decided on a simple yet delicious sounding recipe and gathered our ingredients. Throwing the octopus into the pan was a frightening experience for me... they seemed to come alive and were stretching and wriggling all over the place. So, we sat down to eat as a whole family and to my surprise, both Eric and Timo were willing to try it with us.
It was not the first time for us having octopus (it was actually the second) and Jeremy and the boys liked it - a lot! I ate the legs and some of the body and I even thought it tasted okay, but when I popped the rest into my mouth, I couldn't seem to chew it and actually swallow, so long story shorter... I didn't. I know, I know, a disappointment for the second time (I couldn't finish eating the other one either.) But I'd gladly try again.



Tuesday afternoon we were able to trade our beat up 1998 Nissan Quest for a still beat up but nicer 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan. It is older, but runs better, has newer tires, and is not tagged with a big orange 35 on the side. Our new ride definitely has some potential.



Pita Bread is amazing! I never knew the fabulous world of flat unleavened breads. We recently purchased a beautiful greek pita bread and some gyro meat, to make our own gyros. Well, come to find out pita bread can also make a few other delicious items... such as the self discovered "pita pizza" or the closely related "fajita pita." Not only are these tasty tidbits on my tongue, they are enjoyable to say. So, I chant... "Pita, Pita, Pita"
Sorry, the pita went straight to my brain and clogged it for a moment.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to see you have the urge to try new things....I dont think I would just buy octopus and try it. I Have tried Fried breaded calamari, and it was good, but that picture above does not look apatizing, so I am proud of you fro at least trying it!

Tess said...

Congrats on the new car! And that octopus...you're certainly braver than me!

Jeremy said...

We've been trying a lot of different things lately.
I also enjoy fried breaded calamari. Knowing this Becka and I went to an asian market the other day and tried some type of squid jerky (calamari is squid). It was horrible! I washed it down with laxative, it was that bad! For reference I blogged about it.
That's what I get for buying fish in a bag.

Jessumca said...

good job becka! it would be hard for me to try that, but maybe i will someday because i'll remember that my fabulous aunt becka plucked up the courage herself! :) (thanks for the ride again!)

Unknown said...

yeah, I don't know about regular old squid.....I prefer mine deapfried and breaded! :) Like I said you guys are very very brave!