11/14/08

Wishing upon a star

Not having a running vehicle means a lot of walking. And I truly mean a lot! There are a few drawbacks to having to walk every where.

First of all, you have to plan on using up more time and energy. Plus, with colder weather you really have to bundle up. And the other day, it even started snowing the smallest snow flakes ever right on me! It's also difficult to do any real grocery shopping, carrying a gallon of milk even a few blocks can get pretty heavy fast.

But I have also noticed some wonderful things too...

Walking has shown me a beautiful side of the moon and stars. It has also given me quality time to spend with my big boys, Eric and Timo.

The other night as the three of us were beginning our walk to Maverick, Eric looked up and clearly saw the bright, guiding North Star. When he noticed it, he said that we should all make a wish on it. As we each silently closed our eyes and mentally said our wishes, I remembered back on my simple childhood days of believing those wishes will come true. After just a few moments, Eric told me that we can't tell anyone our wish or it won't come true.



Then he told me that he made a wish before that didn't come true. Out of complete curiousity, I asked what that wish was for. Expecting him to say a new toy or candy bar, I was surprised to hear him say that he had wished to have the power to fly like Superman. He was truly disappointed that his wish didn't come true.

Walking back and forth everywhere we need to go has opened my eyes to the importance of spending time with our kids now, before they get too old to make a wish upon a star.

No comments: