11/6/08

Evolving in a world created by Heavenly Father

In my college English 102 course, I have to write a 2,500 word research paper on the topic of teaching evolution and creationism equally in schools. I have learned a lot from these upper-level English classes. Things I would never have even thought to ask before.

Who knew that evolution vs. creationism could be such an interesting topic to a girl from small town Idaho? Well, if you are one who is surprised, you're not alone. I am absolutely shocked that I have become passionate about these sort of topics. never the less, as I grow up and watch my boys grow up, I realize more and more every day that these specific topics can and will affect our future generations. Do I want the theory of evolution to completely over-shadow our central belief in a creator? Absolutely not! But I am all for healthy discussion and contemplation regarding both theories to allow our youth to make educated decisions.

To put it simply, everything that survives, evolves...

Mickey Mouse, 1928...



He has skinny arms and legs and wore smaller shoes.

Mickey, circa 1940...



His cute tail became longer, his shoes sprouted a few sizes, and he began wearing white gloves.

... Mickey, now...



...our beloved buddy has gained a little weight, changed shoes a time or two, and introduced us to his friends, Goofy, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, and even Pluto.

I love seeing how things evolve: friendships, a child's mind, houses into homes.

But above all of this, how can a person refute Heavenly Father's creative hands when looking into your newborns face, or seeing the first of many perfect smiles?

2 comments:

Roo Roo's Corner said...

I hope I am evolving into a better person. Thank goodness we don't have to stay the same. I remember how I was at 18!!! Yikes! Isn't it great how Heavenly Father created us to be able to improve?

Becka said...

I completely agree! I have changed so much since I was young, too. Now when Heavenly Father places a trial in front of me, I try to think of it as an opportunity for growth. The only problem is that I am a bit hard headed and don't want to change my ways!