4/4/09

A Good-bye Blog



The youngest of four kids, I was a super-energetic, young girl who dreamed of becoming an important doctor. You know, the familiar dream of curing cancer, enriching the lives of AIDS patients, saving lives, even brain surgery. Nearly every year, I would change my mind about the specific specialty that I wanted to be more than anything else in the whole world. Never once did the dream die, it was a welcome escape from reality of life in a very small town.

Then in 1994, along came a television show. Every week I could indulge my inner dreamer and watch alongside America, as some amazing (and even amazingly good-looking) doctors ran, panicked, and generally helped patients in an entirely fake hospital setting. It was an eye opener, but then I couldn't take my eyes off.

Each spring, as the season would come to a close, I dreaded the last episode. Always wanting to know what my "doctors" were doing next, those summer months were nearly unbearable. And in 2000, I became a wife and my life-long dream was forever changed...



Never the less, at the close of season 15 (!) I feel very, very, yes very melancholy at the prospect that it is now over. I am grateful for all of the reruns available, but if NBC thinks they pulled one over on me by showing a billion promotional commercials for the new drama, they are very mistaken! Southland will fail!

Uhm, OKAY, back to the original reason for my post!

Though I realize that my blog is usually a happy spot, I had to mention that my favorite hour long show (half hour time slot is still ruled by The Office - long live Dunder Mifflin!) has ended and I will miss watching each of my favorite doctors perform operations and shock people back to life. ER's time slot will never be successfully filled, in my very professional TV watching opinion.

No comments: