8/18/09

Focused Imagination

Has anyone ever noticed how little children have wonderful, inventive imaginations? They imagine the strangest things: playmates, food to serve to mommy and daddy, and even monsters!!! Well, I truly think that Timo takes the imaginary cake of inventiveness...

The other day I went to Walmart on a routine shopping trip, just me and Timo. For whatever reason, Timo absolutely loves to sit in the shopping cart and be pushed around. I know, I know. He's way too old to do that, but I let it slide.

Well, on this particular day, Timo was feeling extremely playful and he enticed me to "watch" him play imaginary basketball in the store's produce section. As a loving mommy, my reaction is a quick "Yeah, ok" as I am searching for the right type of beef (Beef, it's what's for dinner!) He gets ready and heeves the "ball" all the way to the "hoop" which is way in the rafters... "Whoosh" he makes it.

And he "catches" the ball. Now, mind you, all this time I am super enthusiastic at saying the required "oohs and ahs". When we move farther down the aisle after he has heeved the ball, he is totally consumed with concern for the ball that has yet to return to him. When he complains that we moved away from the ball, I tell him that it'll "come back" to him.

He looks to the side of the cart, and nearly falling out onto his toe-tally blonde head, grabs a hand full of air, looks right into my eyes and, grinning from ear to ear, says "I got it!"

Such are the adventures into a little man's crazy internal world...

No comments: